During the 4 years I lived in Australia I tackled the long-haul flight home to the UK at least twice a year but I have to admit it doesn’t get any easier the more you do it!
If you’ve ever flown long-haul you might relate to some of these thoughts I jotted down on one of my flights between London and Sydney.
1.Great I’ve got 24 hours in which I won’t have to worry about social media and emails.
2. I’ll just send this last tweet before turning on airplane mode though. Oh wait you can pay to use the internet in the sky. Tempting..
3. I’m not quite sure what to do with a hot towel. (Holds it limply whilst half cleaning fingers.)
4. So if I watch 3 movies, then 2 episodes of Westworld, I’ll have filled approx 1/5 of my time on this aircraft. (Gulps.)
5. I’ve totally ruined a whole show by watching those 3 random episodes from season 4 of Suits/Homeland/GOT when I’m only up to Season 2.
6. My face is leaking. This movie was nowhere near as emotional on land.
7. I think I’ll watch Pitch Perfect 2. Again.
8. Yes, I will accept that hot snack despite eating 5 meals in 20 hours.
9. When will they be feeding us again?
10. What is in this ‘salad’ exactly?
11. Please come through the cabin with water. My throat is closing up.
12. When will the man in the aisle seat move/wake up/stir/ LOOK AT ME – I’m going to pee in my seat.
13. I love it when the child in the row behind bops me on the head or, better yet, I’m sitting next to a small child who keeps pinching me. (True story.)
14. Of course you can put your leg, bag, rubbish in my footwell. I didn’t need it anyway. (Eye roll.)
15. First flight done. Only 14 hours to go! Yay!
16. It’s 6am in Abu Dhabi but cocktail o’clock in Sydney so yes I will have that glass of sparkling wine, thank you.
17. Will it look odd if I wear a blanket on my head?
18. If I put my right leg in the gap between the seat in front, my left under the armrest, twist to the side and put the pillow against the plane window I can almost achieve a comfortable sleeping position. Almost.
19. Who am I kidding. I can’t feel my right hip, thigh or bum now.
20. Oh, the unbridled joy of a shower followed by lying horizontal.
Have you made the schlep to the land Down Under? What would you add to the above?
You might also like: